From a Dream
Derek Locklear, owner of Coach Derek Inc., founded Let’s Give Them a Shot with the vision of creating a program that would serve underprivileged children in at-risk neighborhoods in the Los Angeles area.
Due to low resources and limited funds, this at-risk population is missing what every child deserves; the opportunity to learn and play with quality instruction and equipment.
A study reported in the Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport finds that disadvantaged children may fall short in basic motor skills: "The vast majority of underprivileged preschoolers who were tested scored below the 30th percentile of children across the U.S...
That ranking is considered developmentally disabled."
Throughout the Let’s Give Them A Shot program, children learn sports skills, game rules, and life lessons such as teamwork, sportsmanship and leadership, as well as being the best they can be individually and collectively.Read More
Learn more about us...
- Young people who succumb to risk factors are often unable to find a helping hand; are without a caring adult who can offer a positive alternative. Let’s Give Them A Shot offers positive, non-competitive sports instruction within the at-risk community.
- We currently offer two different ways
to donate to Let’s Give Them A Shot.
- Let’s Give Them A Shot is a
non-profit 501(C-3) organization.
- Find out what some of the key people involved in Let’s Give Them a Shot have to say about the program.
- Our 2nd Annual Poker Tournament Fundraiser was a huge success for underprivileged kids served by Let’s Give Them a Shot. Enjoy the Photos!
How We Help
- We bring fundamental sports instruction in Basketball, Soccer and Baseball to children age 5-12 in areas where children would otherwise not have the means to participate.
- We use athletics as a vehicle to give young people a stronger sense of self-esteem and provide lessons about sportsmanship and interacting with others that last far beyond their time on the field or court.